[mythtv-users] Lirc's evil twin

Henrik Gammelmark mythtv at geemark.com
Sat Jul 22 16:11:27 UTC 2006

Preston Crow wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 11:53 +0200, Henrik Gammelmark wrote:
>>> You'll see the keyboard, mouse, and IR.  The IR acts as a keyboard input
>>> by default, and you can remap the keys with various tools.  However, if
>>> you use xine or mplayer, you'll want them to see different keys than
>>> Myth for the same buttons, so you still need lirc.  You can do this by
>>> using lirc with the devinput driver instead of the hauppauge driver.
>>>
>>> You'll need different /etc/lircd.conf and ~/.mythtv/lircrc files.
>> Can you be a little more specific about these files? How do I make /
>> obtain them? The first one at least...
>
> If you Google on: ivtv devinput
> You'll probably find it.
>
> http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=remotes
>
> I was struggling until I found that page.  Follow the instructions
> there.  If you modify the /etc/lircd.conf file to use the symbols in
> your old one, you don't have to modify your ~/.mythtv/lircrc file.

Thank you very much - very useful guide.
However, I have the new PVR-350, and hence I need to map the extra keys.

The guide says this:
# The codes on the left came from a lot of pushing buttons and watching
# the output from the ir-kbd-i2c module in the kernel logs

Where do I find these "kernel logs"? Do I need to enable something in
the kernel??

Can I use the following information (from dmesg) to translate the code
into something that can be used in lircd.conf?

i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x16 raw=0x3796 down=0

>>> You'll also need different options starting lircrc.  On my Gentoo
>>> system, my /etc/conf.d/lircd file:
>>>
>>> LIRCD_OPTS="-d /dev/input/event2"
>> I presume you mean "starting lircd"?
>
> Yes
>
>> I have no "event2", so I tried with "event0" (the only one), but I am
>> not sure this is the one, since "irw" reports nothing - dmesg however,
>> reports some "unknown key: ..." log entries for every key I press.
>> I tried adding the "raw" part of the keys to lircd.conf, but with no luck.
>
> On my system, event0 and event1 are the keyboard and mouse respectively.
> I'm not sure what's going on with yours; it will depend on your kernel
> options; it might be event0 if it's the only driver set up to use
> devinput.

It seems it is in fact event0 that is the remote - which makes sence,
since it is my server that doubles as mythbox. This means no keyboard,
mouse, screen etc...