[mythtv-users] 2.6.17.6 + 0.7.0 + 0.19 works!

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Fri Jul 21 23:28:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 02:12:52PM -0400, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>   If so, I'll add the two paragraphs starting with
> "The" below somewhere appropriate.

I was anticipating that someone who's more familiar with ivtv's
requirements would take my observations and put together a
definitive list of what modules are required and how to enable them
in the 2.6.17 kernel tree.  Before I found out how to access the
saa7113/4/5 driver I had a "kitchen sink" moment and built a lot of
other drivers hoping some of them would be recognized.  Here's a
partial 'lsmod' output for my backend machine:

Module                  Size  Used by
msp3400                24992  0
saa7115                12432  0
tda9887                13456  0
tuner                  43820  0
v4l2_common            12800  2 msp3400,tuner
ivtv                  156816  0
i2c_algo_bit            7304  1 ivtv
v4l1_compat            11140  1 ivtv
tveeprom               12176  1 ivtv
videodev                6400  1 ivtv
i2c_sis96x              4484  0
i2c_core               14352  8 msp3400,saa7115,tda9887,tuner,ivtv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,i2c_sis96x

I know I had to specify v4l1 to get the msp3400 driver to become
selectable and had to enable obsolete drivers to get the saa7115 to
show up, but I'm not sure which of the other modules came from ivtv
and which ones came from the kernel.  You can quote me if you want,
but there may be more steps required than what my two paragraphs
mentioned.

> (And Chris, should I include your
> email in some human-readable-only form?  Or a pointer to the gossamer
> archive of this thread?  That way people have some idea where this
> info came from & can track it back if they need to ask you something.)

The thread pointer would probably be better, as it's quite likely
that by the time someone asks me how to get 0.7.0 running on
2.6.17.6 I'll already be messing around with 0.8.0 on 2.6.18 or
later.