[mythtv-users] pcHDTV-5500 setup

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jul 21 21:09:44 UTC 2006

I just received a pcHDTV-5500 card. I've got it installed and
working, but it seems my technical skill is surpassing my conceptual
knowledge a bit. I understand this card can tune digital (OTA HD or
from an HD source like a satellite or cable HD box) or analog. Am I
able to take advantage of both at the same time?

Basically, I deleted all my tuners (I have a PVR-350 in this box as
well, but I didn't add it back in as a tuner to help simplify
things). I added my pcHDTV-5500 as a DVB tuner. I set up a listing
source with zap2it, then scanned for channels. I have a bunch of
channels like 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 9.1, 9.2, etc. that all work great (I'm
in SF so I get quite a few HD OTA channels), but I also see channels
like 4, 10, 12. I also see channels that do not exist in my zap2it
listing like up in the hundred's. Did these come from zap2it or from
the channel scan? Both? Can the pcHDTV-5500 tune these channels? When
I choose one of these in LiveTV, it sits for a second, then tunes
back to the previous good HD channel I was tuning (like 4.2).

I just read about using /dev/video1 (/dev/video0 I believe is my
PVR-350 card - not sure how to tell which devices are coming from
which card) for analog tuning. Do I set up 2 video cards for my one
card? One for DVB and one for analog? If so, how will it resolve
conflicts between the same card with two different "virtual" cards
assigned to it?

If the answer is a wiki entry or page somewhere describing how to do
this, I would be equally grateful as a detailed response. :)

Thanks,

Brad