[mythtv-users] Scheduling recordings from a satellite box

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 20:45:15 UTC 2006

> What you are saying is that you will at the moment be changing the channels
> on your sat box manually. But Myth still expects to be able to control the
> external box. It expects channel change scripts to return a value of true so
> it knows that it has successfully changed the channel on the external sat
> box. You can trick myth into thinking it has a working channel change script
> by setting the channel change script to be "/bin/true" without the quote
> marks.
>
> Hope this helps you understand,

   This is EXACTLY what I was missing! In the mythtv-setup
configuration box provided for the channel change script I had
nothing. Under such conditions, and again when using an S-Video cable
from the satellite box to the MythTV PC, mythtv would sometimes
succeed to do the recordings I had scheduled, but most of the time it
would fail, with the error messages I reported. After I set the
channel change script to /bin/true, all of my scheduled recordings
were carried out flawlessly.

   Thanks very much. This issue was beginning to drive me up the wall.