[mythtv-users] plextor setup on T41, modular xorg

Phil pvmythtv at nekophile.com
Fri Jul 21 20:16:54 UTC 2006

Nathan Lutchansky wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 08:43:53PM -0700, Phil wrote:
>> If I 'watch tv' I get a green screen and lots of junk, but apparently
>> accurate listings.  A file begins to grow in the target directory.
>
> This is a FAQ...  Did you set up your profiles?  -Nathan

Per the subsequent messages, green scren is resolved.  [I apologize for
TMI in my posts, but I operate on the believe that more info is good for
solving my and others problems in the future.]  I setup live tv and
default profiles and default to default - although they're basically the
same at present.

At present, my big issue is lack of sound - a condition currently unique
to this app.  I've setup for ALSA:default and default (mixer) after
failing with the /dev/dsp option and reading the sound notes.

CONFIG_SOUND=y

#
# Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
#
CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
# CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY is not set
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
# CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS is not set
CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API=y
# CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
# CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set

The sound doesn't appear taken by anything else:
hermes linux # fuser -v /dev/dsp
hermes linux # ps -ef | grep esd
root     17363  9408  0 13:06 pts/2    00:00:00 grep esd
hermes linux # ps -ef | grep arts
root     17367  9408  0 13:06 pts/2    00:00:00 grep arts

Other things I've noticed:

- I *must* start mythbackend manually regardless of it starting in the
default runlevel.  It claims to start, but I can't ps -ef|grep anything
related to it.  The startup script doesn't 'stop' nicely, but must be
zapped.  Or not.  It doesn't seem to care if I just start a mythbackend
process.

- Unless I disable support for framebuffer in the kernel, I get video
which starts and stops.  Having changed this back, it appears smooth
again.  Note that I run ati radeon 9000 and have not been able to setup
DRI.  This makes sense, but came up as I've been trying to get the
graphics optimized.