[mythtv-users] Two channels using the same number

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 21 13:37:33 UTC 2006

On 07/20/2006 04:40 PM, Oscar Curero wrote:

>I have a stupid problem (well not exactly me, but my wife): we have a pvr-350
>using the tuner0 and an external tuner (the satellite box, which is connected
>through s-video0). She's very used to the channel numbers on the satellite
>box (channel 5 is discovery channel, channel 20 is Mtv...). On the other
>part, she's also used to the numbers on the tuner0, where channel 5 is tve
>(spainsh public TV).
>
>What I would like to do is have some channels (15, more or less...) share
>their channel number:
>
>Channel 1 (tuner0): TV3
>Channel 1 (svideo): Canal +
>Channel 2 (tuner0): C33
>Channel 2 (svideo): Paramount Comedy
>Channel 3 (tuner0): Tele5
>Channel 3 (svideo): People + arts
>Channel 4 (tuner0): La2
>Channel 4 (svideo): Documania
>Channel 5 (tuner0): Tve
>Channel 5 (svideo): Discovery Channel
>[..]
>
>Is this possible?
>How did you configure the channels ob the external tuner if they were on the
>same numbers?

Yep.  Just use mythtv-setup's channel editor to change the channel
numbers to whatever you want.  As long as you don't change the frequency
ID (on the second page of the editor), everything continues to work.
Myth doesn't care what channel numbers you use (as long as you don't use
the same channel number for multiple channels on the same video source).

Note, also, that if you want Myth to see the channels as different (i.e.
they're not the same channel or you want to be able to explicitly say to
record something off satellite versus using the RF-modulated source),
you need to ensure they have different callsigns (i.e. TV3 and Canal+
will be treated as different channels even if they're both channel 1).
If you want them to be the same channel, make sure they have the same
callsign.  If they have the same callsign and the same channel number,
they will be "consolidated" into a single line on the program guide.

Mike