[mythtv-users] USB Tuner not being detected.

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 09:48:37 UTC 2006

On 21/07/06, Graeme McClinton <graeme.mcclinton at gmail.com> wrote:
> First time post here
>
> I have a working MythTV setup with a Cinergy 1400 DVB card and a PVR-250
> analogue card.
>
> I have an old Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T USB (1.1) gathering dust that I would
> like to add to the system, but so far I have been unsuccessful.
>
> This page
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_USB#Technotrend_Budget_USB1.1_.28DVB-S.2FT.2FC.29
> says it should be possible, but it is pretty vague.
>
> It says for all devices I must modprobe i2c-core, crc32, firmware_class,
> dvb-core and dvb-pll. This works for all but crc32 and firmware_class. I
> understand that this could mean they are built into my kernel, but I don't
> know how to check that. I am running Fedora Core 4 with kernel
> 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4

You can check your kernel config, something like:

# grep "CRC32" /boot/config-`uname -r`

will list the CRC32 related config options. If the output is
CONFIG_CRC32=y then CRC32 is compiled into the kernel, whereas if the
output is CONFIG_CRC32=m, CRC32 is compiled as a kernel module which
can be modprobed. I would think that Fedora will have most DVB-related
options available.

> Then in the device specific section it says I need to load stv0299.ko,
> cx22700.ko, tda1004x.ko, tda8083.ko and dvb-ttusb-budget.ko. This is
> confusing, because I'm not sure if I should load all of these or just the
> ones specific to my frontend/demodulator. I don't know which
> frontend/demodulator I have.

On a PCI card you can quite often look on the card itself. With a USB
device, you might have to check dmesg output if the driver is
auto-loaded. Perhaps a trial and error approach manually modprobing
each of the drivers in turn and monitoring dmesg output will tell you.

> Also there is a firmware file, dvb-fe-tda10046.fw, that needs to go in
> /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. I have done that.

You probably want to put the firmware file in /lib/firmware.

> However when I reboot and do lsusb, my device is not there.

Are there any unknown devices listed?

> When I had it plugged into a Windows box, there was a red light on the front
> when the USB was connected, and then a green light when the driver was
> loaded. At the moment I have a red light
>
> I think the hotplug software might have something to do with it. How does it
> work? Should a script be run any time a USB device is plugged in, or should
> there be a daemon constantly running?

Things should happen automatically (including udev creation of the
correct devices in /dev). On FC4 I think you'll need the haldaemon
service running.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: