[mythtv-users] Scheduling recordings from a satellite box

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jul 20 22:21:58 UTC 2006

On Jul 20, 2006, at 3:11 PM, JCA wrote:

>> You need to set up an external channel changing script that
>> changes the
>> channel on the Satellite box either using a direct serial
>> connection or
>> an IR blaster or some kind of device like that.
>
>    How would this help me? My problem is not what channel the
> satellite box is tuned in at a particular moment. My problem is that
> the satellite box sends the video signal to mythtv at channel 3, and
> channel 3 alone. My understanding is that this can hardly be changed -
> well, one could use channel 4 instead, but that seems to be pretty
> much it.
>
>   Like I said, this is not about mechanisms to get mythtv to change
> the channel that the satellite box is tuned in at a particular
> instant. This is, I believe, what you are describing. The problem is
> the following: How can one use the  Manage Recordings -> Schedule
> Recordings -> Program Guide menu in mythtv to record shows, bearing in
> mind that there is only one channel, namely, 3, available to mythtv?

You're misunderstanding. Setting up an external channel-change script
and way to control the satellite box will keep the tuner tuned to
channel 3 like you need. Instead of changing the channel on the tuner
in your myth box, myth will know to execute the channel change script
which (if the hardware is set up properly) will change the channel on
the satellite box.