[mythtv-users] Installing and Using MythTV on FreeBSD

Stuart Larson halcyon at obfus.com
Thu Jul 20 13:37:10 UTC 2006

> I'm interested in moving my frontend and backend to FreeBSD, if it's
> plausible.
> I've done some searching, but haven't found anything useful.
> I'm new to FreeBSD, so a pointer to a step-by-step would be great, but I
> could probably wing it.
>
> Any information on installing, using, upgrading and stability greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>   JJ

I've had a frontend running on freebsd (6.0-stable) for quite a while
(recently moved to Ubuntu, however) - It's fairly straightforward.  I went
with the compiling from source route (19-fixes).  Just made sure that all
required libraries/software were installed via ports or source prior to
compiling myth.  I also had a little problem building some of the plugins,
but as it was a frontend, I didn't worry too much about it.

I had one weird thing happen while building with the version script - it
wouldn't create the .version file that the next step of the build was
looking for - renaming version.cpp (or version.new, can't remember - the
error message was pretty clear) fixed the compile problem.

I haven't tried running any sort of capturing (IVTV..), but I think it's
possible.  Also had a headless slave backend that was used for
transcoding, also running freebsd.

While I don't really have a freebsd box to play with right now, let me
know if you have any problems.

Stuart