[mythtv-users] DVD -> svideo on pvr250

darth vader darth.vader.sl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 09:45:08 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Mark Hetherington <redcane at redcane.homelinux.org> wrote:

> > Not that this provides a Myth solution, but this is all so much easier
> > on Windows.  Use something like CladDVD to rip the main VOB file
> > unencrypted to the hard disk.  Use VirtualDubMod to reencode to Divx or
> > xvid or whatever.  I've found that many kids DVDs, especially Disney do
> > not reencode well without audio drifting so I just leave those as VOB
> > files on the hard disk.  They play back just as well with mplayer or
> > xine as xvid/divx do, just a little more disk space.
> >
> ???
> MythDVD has a ripping component, it can either rip as a is, or transcode
> MPEG4 (I believe xvid). You don't even need to leave the mythfrontend. On
> debian I just did "apt-get install mythdvd", and there it is in the menu.
> Tell it what your dvd device is, where to rip videos, and you have a rip
> menu
> option. I used it a few times, but it doesn't allow you as much tweaking
> as
> other programs.

The main problem I had with MythDVD was the  Arcoss protection.  MythDVD
would start
to rip, but then freak out when it hit the bad sectors of the  disc.  It
would then say that it  would
take up to 450+, sometimes in the thousands, of hours to complete.  Then I
would try to cancel,
and it would lock the dvd drive so I would have to reboot to fix it.  Now
this was under the 0.18.1
myth, I haven't tried 0.19 yet.  Does it handle the protection any better?

        Which brings us to "DVD::RIP" which will do rip and transcode on the
> fly, so
> you don't need to rip the VOB to disk first. It does automated Two pass
> encoding, distributed encoding (i.e. do the number crunching on multiple
> PCs
> via a network).
> There are plenty of other solutions out there for linux as well, from
> command
> line scripts (if your logging in remotely), to full GUIs like transcode.
> This
> sort of thing is so much easier on Linux, especially when all the tools
> come
> built in to a lot of popular distributions.

I have not tried DVD::RIP yet.  It was something on the list, but I wanted
to see if the playing worked
first.  I guess I could give it a shot and see what happens.