[mythtv-users] Change channels by entering channel ID?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 09:38:31 UTC 2006

On 19/07/06, Chris Gentle <gentlec at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> I don't think this is currently possible.  I would like to be able to change
> channels while watching LiveTV by entering a station identifier such as SCIFI,
> USA, HISTORY, etc. from the keyboard.  The channel IDs are easier to remember
> than the numbers.  I use the guide occasionally but usually prefer to just type
> in a channel number.

Wouldn't this interefere with the normal usage of hotkeys? The
keystroke monitor would need to wait a while before acivating a
command in case you were typing a CALLSIGN instead of a single key for
a specific command. There could be a hotkey to activate callsign entry
for those users using a keyboard to control MythTV (or conversely an
option to disable commands until a special key is pressed), but
between using a remote, browse mode and the guide, it'd have limited
appeal for me. It would allow some context between the user's channel
identifier and the actual channel, rather than some arbitrary number,
which could be a useful thing.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: