[mythtv-users] Converting mythtv capture to DVD

Mark Hetherington redcane at redcane.homelinux.org
Thu Jul 20 08:20:33 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 July 2006 15:01, JCA wrote:
>     I scheduled a recording with mythfrontend. Mythtv did the
> recording fine, creating an MPEG file. This file plays under mplayer
> in my Linux without problems.
>
>    Now I fed the MPEG file to dvdauthor, using a dvdauthor.xml file
> that I have successfully used numerous times to create VIDEO_TS
> directories to be burnt to a DVD, which can then be played without
> problems on ordinary DVD players.
>
>    The problem is that dvdauthor seems to be unable to process the
> MPEG file created by mythtv. It just prints out thousands of lines
> like the following:
>
> WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
>
> And, occasionally, it prints out
>
> WARN: System header found, but PCI/DSI information is not where expected
>         (make sure your system header is 18 bytes!)
The MPEG2 streams from digital TV are *not* in DVD format. They are "Program
Streams" (PS) not "Transport Streams" (TS) like on DVD. You can
use "nuvexport" to export to a DVD format mpeg file (or xvid/VCD/ipod/PSP
format). Converting from an MPEG2 tv stream to DVD format is quite quick with
nuvexport. Dvdauthor can then use this file directly.