[mythtv-users] 0.19 - local frontend working great , remote frontend not (localhost:6543)

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:53:04 UTC 2006

> 1) When I change (using mythfrontend or editing .mythtv/mysql.txt) the
> backend server value in Dragonfly (the backend) from localhost to
> either dragonfly or 192.168.1.55, then local frontend is no longer
> able to connect to the server. Change it back to localhost and the
> local frontend connect.

<snip>
> Is there some way to read all the currently installed rules in the
> database? I suspect that maybe some rule is overriding this granting
> of access for the local machine?
>
> NOTE: I also tried restarting mythbackend and mysql. That wasn't the solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

The permissions are in the mysql database.  On my machine, I get something like:

mysql> select host, user from user;
+-----------+---------+
| host      | user    |
+-----------+---------+
|           | mythtv  |
| localhost | mythtv  |
| localhost | root    |
| pvrllama  | root    |
+-----------+---------+

On this system, all mythtv users get allowed for certain privs. (I
ought to tighten that down, 'eh? ;))  pvrllama is my backend's name.
So, root has privs when connecting from localhost or pvrllama (same
machine), and mythtv has privs from localhost and "any" host.

I think you may be having problems connecting from your backend
possibly from a textual dissimilarity.

Just for giggles, try:

grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"dragonfly" identified by "mythtv";

And see that you have:

mysql> select host, user from user;
+-----------+---------+
| host      | user    |
+-----------+---------+
| 192.168.1.% | mythtv  |
| dragonfly | mythtv  |
| localhost | mythtv  |
| localhost | root    |

--Phill W.

P.S. I love Webmin. it's a swell program, but it may be overkill for
this problem. (it sure does simplify some admin duties though :))  ...
But I don't personally like phpAdmin... personal tastes, no flamewars
please :)