[mythtv-users] 0.19 - local frontend working great , remote frontend not (localhost:6543)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:01:01 UTC 2006

Phil,
   Thanks. I am sure you are on the right track. However you have
uncovered a problem here with MySQL permissions that I'm not
understanding. I hope you can help.

1) When I change (using mythfrontend or editing .mythtv/mysql.txt) the
backend server value in Dragonfly (the backend) from localhost to
either dragonfly or 192.168.1.55, then local frontend is no longer
able to connect to the server. Change it back to localhost and the
local frontend connect.

2) Since the above implies that the backend machine cannot connect to
mysql on itself, I try the following command sitting on the backend:

mark at dragonfly ~ $ mysql -u mythtv -h dragonfly mythconverg -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'Dragonfly' (using
password: YES)
mark at dragonfly ~ $

So indeed the backend cannot connect to itself through the net. It
only connects when it connects through localhost:

mark at dragonfly ~ $ mysql -u mythtv -h localhost mythconverg -p
Enter password:

Your MySQL connection id is 7 to server version: 4.1.20-log

mysql> quit
Bye
mark at dragonfly ~ $

However, if I go to Lightning, one of the remote machines, it will
connect across the network:

mark at lightning ~ $ mysql -u mythtv -h dragonfly mythconverg -p
Enter password:

Your MySQL connection id is 6 to server version: 4.1.20-log

mysql>

Now, the way I'm trying to grant access is using the commands on this page:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html

<QUOTE>
Finally, if you just want to restrict by IP subnet (in this example,
the 192.168.1. network):

    $ mysql -u root mythconverg
    mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"192.168.1.%"
identified by "mythtv";
    mysql> flush privileges;
</QUOTE>

Before I did this none of the remote machines could connect, but for
whatever reason the local machine cannot.

Why?

Is there some way to read all the currently installed rules in the
database? I suspect that maybe some rule is overriding this granting
of access for the local machine?

NOTE: I also tried restarting mythbackend and mysql. That wasn't the solution.

Thanks,
Mark