[mythtv-users] Live TV Tuner Priority

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 19 04:14:14 UTC 2006

> Ok, I have spent the past 6mos tinkering with mythtv and love it.  My
> backend server is a quad pIII Xeon w/ 1.2TB of storage.  My front ends are
> P4 3.0 SFF pc and a via epia 800.  Ok, now to to the problme.  The backend
> has two cards (three tuners) 1x PVR500 and one pcHDTV5000.  They both work
> great.  The problem is that no matter how I set the priorities and card
> ids
> (I have the two PVRs higher), live tv ALWAYS starts using the HD tuner
> unless the card is in use.  Since the epia is way under powered for HD
> decoding, this cause a bit of heartache.  In addition, the current ATRPMS
> release is causing a buffer error... timed out waiting for video buffers,
> which I suspect only happens when tuning in HD channels.  In any case, I
> would really like to only use the HD tuner for recording and the
> occasional
> and intentional live viewing of HD content.

If you select the option, "Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled
shows", then I believe it is the last tuner index that is used.  (At least
it's that way on my system, but I have only one backend.)

Thus, what I do is I put the second tuner of my PVR-500 card (which I use
for watching TV) as my last card in mythtv-setup, and live TV uses that
card.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com