[mythtv-users] Connecting Myth

redcane at redcane.homelinux.org redcane at redcane.homelinux.org
Wed Jul 19 03:20:38 UTC 2006

> HI all
>
> As yet I have not connected my Myth box to a TV, it is still running on
> a 19" PC monitor. So I thought it is time to do so. I just wanted to
> check what I should be doing...
>
> I have a Blaupunkt 78cm analog TV with 2 scart connectors & 1 composite
> set (video-left-right). I have a nVidia FX 5200 in the Myth box. I am
> assuming I connect my TV cable to my digital card and my nVidia to my TV
> with a S-Video to Scart cable, Yes? Will this give me sound as well?

The SVIDEO output on the nvidia card will be just video (it's not a sound
card). So you need to plug the SVIDEO cable from PC->TV as well as a sound
cable from PC->speakers. (either the TV speakers, or a seperate stereo).

> I ask as I have a SBLIve 5.1 card in the machine also. It has SPDIF
> output but I do not have any SPDIF inputs on my stereo gear, just analog
> inputs for. The Live card does have Front & Rear analog outputs. Do I
> actually need this card for basic TV recording/watching or would it only
> be useful for more "advanced" stuff like connecting to my stereo?

You can get an adapter from the 3.5mm speaker jack to a component
left-right (white-red) connector and then run both the sound and video
cables to your TV. Or you can get an adapter from svideo to compnent video
(yellow), then get an extension cable with all three
(video-left-right/yellow-white-red).

Alternatively, you can hook your sound card up to a stereo, and not use
the speakers in the TV at all. (i.e. the TV just displays video, and the
sound is played on a seperate emplifer/stereo).

> And while I am here, can any Aussies offer an nVidia setting to put out
> PAL-B to a 78cm analog TV....?

If you have the proprietary nVidia binary blob driver installed you can
use the following for the device section of your xorg.conf/XF86config. It
will give you the same display on your monitor as your tv at all times. It
is limited to 1024x768 on my card (thats the maximum of the tv out on my
board). Your card may only do 800x600 on the TV out, It may do more. This
works for me YMMV.

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
#Binary driver
	Driver		"nvidia"
#open source driver
#	Driver		"nv"
	Option 		"Twinview"
	Option 		"TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
	Option 		"MetaModes" "1024x768,1024x768; 800x600,800x600 ; 640x480,640x480"
	Option		"ConnectedMonitor" "TV-0, CRT-0"
	Option		"TVStandard" "PAL-B"
	Option		"TVOverScan" "1.0"
	Option		"TvOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
	Option		"SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-60"
	Option		"SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "48-60"
EndSection