[mythtv-users] GUI setup using remote?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 23:01:10 UTC 2006

> > Wouldn't this be very distro-specific?  In my (very limited) experience
>
>        Just put a MythConfig script at the end of the init sequence
> and hijack the whole lot of it. Those distro specific config files
> are still driving the same universal tools underneath.
>
>        Jut have Myth get in the last word.
>
> > with distros, the GUI config tools distros give you to make configuring
> > your system easier often seem to maintain settings somewhere that
> > overwrite the low-level configuration files/info used by the vanilla GNU
> > tools on every (reboot|login|...).  And, even if you could modify the
> > low-level config file directly, distros often install them in different
> > locations.
>
>        Let Myth do it's own thing. Make sure it gets in the last word.
>
> [deletia]
>
>        rc.local baby!

Thanks for the tips!

Indeed those are good points, and a good idea is to let Myth get the
last word; but seems a lot like a hack.  I guess not too many people
have looked into it, or they simply didn't see this thread, want to
reply, or something else that kept them quiet.  I figure something
distro specific is better than nothing at all, it gives people
somewhere to start if nothing else.  The other part of that is that
you make a good point.  There are a lot of tools designed to do these
things, just not with the way I see it in mind.  The beauty of Open
Source: I'll tweak those tools to my needs and see how they go.  If
these are dedicated MythTV systems we are using these tools on, it's
just a one-time use that we need, I will just have to figure out how
to either lock the conf files after they are tweaked, or...  I don't
know yet, but definitely will be brainstorming.

Thanks!

-Chad