[mythtv-users] Motorola 6200 firewire high def artifacts - Help me debug?

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Tue Jul 18 21:09:15 UTC 2006

> I am also trying to solve an issue with a Motorola firewire box.
> Could you describe the artifacts you are seeing. Do they crash your
> backend? Have you tried switching from a point-to-point connection to
> a broadcast connection? Have you tried increasing the firewire speed
> in MythTVSetup.

Basically it's like a skip in the stream - the whole screen goes very
blocky, then resolves itself.  When watching the NHL playoffs, it was
doing it every 10-20 seconds during play, making the game unwatchable.

I can't get broadcast working, and firewire speed is set to 400 already
(though I'll have to check on that to confirm)

The backend is still stable though, it's just frustrating not being able
to really use the system to record high def sports.

I did some benchmarking on the hard drives, and they seem to be able to do
sequential writes plenty fast for HD - I'm wondering if I have a bad
firewire cable.  I guess replacing that is my next logical step.

Greg