[mythtv-users] PVR-150 defaulting to /dev/video1

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jul 17 22:01:30 UTC 2006

Joe Votour wrote:
>> I have a a HD3000 and a PVR-150, and I know the 150 should be /dev/video0
>> but it's defaulting to /dev/video1.  How do i set it to default to
>> /dev/video0?  Setting it up in mythtvsetup i can set it to /dev/video1 no
>> problem...but then it seems to only work on the first channel it's set on.
>> If i try and change the channel it crashes on me and i'm pretty sure it's
>> becuase it tries to change the channel on the card assinged /dev/video0. I
>> know i can manually change the channel using ivtvctl -d but how do i set
>> it
>> up in myth to always use /dev/video1??

> I don't know what driver your HD-3000 card uses, but make sure that the
> PVR-150 driver (ivtv) loads before it - then it will get /dev/video0.
>
> Your PVR-150 does not have to be on /dev/video0 - I have a DViCO
> FusionHDTV 5 Lite that is on /dev/video0 (the analog portion) and my
> PVR-500 is on /dev/video1 and /dev/video2 - with no problems.
>
> I would suggest that you look at the setup of the PVR-150 in mythtv-setup,
> and make sure that you're actually setting it to /dev/video1, and that
> you're using the correct input under the Input Connections section.

If you are running a 2.6.15+ kernel then the kernel is choosing and
got this card for digital OTA or for cable QAM (HD or SD) then you need
to blacklist the cx8800 module and force the system to load the cx88-dvb
module. When that module loads the HD3000 card shows up at
/dev/dsvb/adapter0.

Go to Gossamer Threads and search the list archive for "blacklist". If
that returns too many hits, search on 'blacklist' and 'Newbury' (my
name) and you should get about 10 hits, at least one of which will
explain the whole problem.

(Note that if you WANT to use your HD3000 card for analog reception,
then it is showing up in the correct place).

Geoff