[mythtv-users] Mythtv .19 live watching

John Johnson johnatl at mac.com
Mon Jul 17 01:33:58 UTC 2006

chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> Second, both 0.18 and 0.19 users have complained again and again
> about the auto-expire not working and how it causes their partition
> to hit 100% and kill the machine.  I therefore don't trust
> auto-expire and manually manage the recorded programs.

Several things complicate auto-expiring programs. One being the
transcoding daemon running, the second being there seems to be no
prediction of how large a recorded program will be before recording starts.

I rarely set anything to auto-expire, because I want to see everything.

I have Webmin on my backend server. It sends me an email with the output
of 'df -h' when storage gets down to 15G free. When it hits about 3G
free, it restarts mythbackend with the --nosched option, it also emails
me a list of the last 10 or so recordings. This keeps it running so I
can delete programs from the frontend. When Webmin sees the storage has
more than 3G free, it restarts mythbackend, and sends another email with
it's PID to let me know it's running.

It's a pretty good work around, but still a workaround.

Regards,
  JJ