[mythtv-users] New system hardware suggestions

Kari Salmela kari.salmela at lanwan.fi
Sun Jul 16 10:07:15 UTC 2006

I am currently running a "technology proof-of-concept" mythtv system
(0.19 svn) in bedroom with some surplus hw, and I'm soon ready to move
to "production" system which needs a new platform. Are there any sites
which have some proven/well-informed info on what to choose and not to
choose for livingroom htpc system - or maybe your comments on my ideas?

Current system:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+, Asus A7V-266 motherboard, Nvidia FX5200 AGP, 1 x WD
Caviar 200GB EIDE, 1GB RAM
2 x Technotrend DVB-C budget cards. TV is connected with DVI->HDMI cable
(Panasonic 26" LCD)

New system should support HD resolution, hence the performance
requirement. HD test channel is visible with current system, but is
jerky and cpu load is 100%, so more power is needed.

I am thinking of putting in either Intel Core 2 Duo or Athlon 64 x2.
System should be silent, powerful when needed and rock-solid in
stability. It seems that there are not yet many motherboard choices for
Core 2 Duo but I guess that will change once CPU's are out to public.
AMD will need to lower prices in order to compete, so it may well be a
good choice, too. Are there any technical points to choose a Intel or
AMD wrt. to mythtv?

There are new SATA II disks in market from WD, Seagate etc. Anything
special there to consider? WD Caviar RE2
(WD3200YS) seems a good choice in theory?

What about display adapter: I guess current Nvidia card would be ok for
new system, but it is AGP and new systems are mostly PCI-E only. I do
not need any 3D gaming or anything like that, just mythtv performance
counts. Just some cheapo Geforce 6200TC card or should I invest more?
ATI has some MPEG-4 / h.264 acceleration in Avivo technology, but will
it work with their linux drivers and/or mythtv at all? Card should have
a passive cooling or need to have support for heat pipe type cooling for
minimum noise.

Best regards
Kari