[mythtv-users] streaming MythFrontend to Zaurus

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jul 15 21:17:53 UTC 2006

On Jul 15, 2006, at 2:54 PM, Ben Dash wrote:

> --- Brian Wood wrote:
>> The Zaurus is a very nice machine, I have a SL-5500
>> and an SL-C760,
>> nice toys to play with.
>>
>> However, if I were buying such a device today I'd be
>> more likely to
>> go for the Nokia 770, better display, faster CPU,
>> network ready out
>> of the box and comes with Linux with a 2.6 kernel,
>> and for less $$$ I
>> believe.
>
> I saw the 770 a while back, but I believe that it only
> has a 200mhz CPU while the Zaurus has a 400mhz (475mhz
>  stable overclocked).  The 770 does have a higher res
> screen and 802.11G and Bluetooth though.
>
> It looks like I can probably stream to the zaurus
> using MythStreamTV.
>
> Does anyone have an opinion on that option?
>
> Please let me know your thoughts,

You didn't mention which Z you are looking at, the SL-C760 was never
officially sold in the USA, I got mine through theKompany, dumping
the Japanese handwriting recognition sure did free up a lot of RAM :-)

I think the 770 is actually running at 250Mhz. and the SL-C760 does
run at 400 but I'm not certain how the different CPUs compare tick
for tick, and I think the 770 offloads some of the display drive load
somehow. The 760's access to SD card data was also very slow, though
that may have been fixed by now. Overclocking the 760 would reduce
the already marginal battery life I'm afraid.

Either one would be fun. I've played with trying to send video to my
760, it worked more or less OK if I used a wired 100-base-T CF
adapter but the only wireless CF card I have is a very old 802.11b
unit and things were choppy, but I didn't really work at it too much.

I ultimately decided the screen is just too small and the battery
life with the network card running is pretty short, and a 12" iBook
was better for the purpose.