[mythtv-users] Opinions on using a RAQ4 as a backend?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 15:26:11 UTC 2006

On 7/15/06, Andrew Welch <andy at skawl.plus.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a Cobalt Raq4r lying around, and I'm wondering if I upgraded
> the processor to an AMD K6-2 500Mhz processor, 512meg RAM, and put a
> PVR-150 encoder card in would it be able to perform as a pure backend tv
> recording server?

This will work for recording, but database operations will be a bit
pokey. Comm flagging and transcoding will be extremely slow. That
said, my first system was a K6-2 400. No problem recording with a PVR
250, but couldn't handle playback.

> No graphics card on it obviously! I'm just trying to build a system that
> can record tv shows while I'm out.

Note, however, that you will need to run an X server for mythtvsetup.
Once that's done (and you have everything else properly configured),
you can control scheduling via the frontend or Mythweb.