[mythtv-users] newbie questions

DW spock at dwinner.net
Sat Jul 15 11:39:58 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Just getting started off here w/ myth as a weekend project cuz it's too
darn hot to go outside. Question: Is it possible to run mythtv off a
laptop (frontend and backend?) I'm not interested in doing capturing at
this time (maybe dvd and cd ripping), but I just want to get started to
play around to use as a multimedia library (my music and maybe dvd) and
hook it up to my tv. (I have an s-video jack on the laptop) .Once my
divorce settlement is final and I have the money from sale of house
(YEAH! Free at last, Free at last!!!!!! :D), then I'll probably look at
getting the hardware to "do it right" with all the bells and whistles
and get the capture card, maybe silent hardware, etc.

I brought home an old unused IBM Thinkpad T21 from work to get started.
It has no built-in wireless, but I have an Orinoco Gold pcmcia card. I
can't use the built-in ethernet cuz my landlady only has wireless.

If possible, I would like to use a Keyspan remote mouse for menu
navigation so I don't have to get up and open the lid on laptop whenever
I need to do something.

I also grabbed a 100GB external USB hard drive I had laying around, so I
figure I can use that is my library partition.

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestion for getting started with
this. Like I said, I know I can't do capturing, tv recording or anything
like that. I guess all I'm look for at this point is a video/audio
jukebox for watching avi's, mpg's, ripped dvd's, mp3's, maybe my photo
jpg's as an album.

cheers,
DW