[mythtv-users] How is the Mac mini as a front-end?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 16:52:35 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, Mattias Holmlund <mattias.holmlund at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/06, Marc Infield <marc at infielddesign.com> wrote:

> The biggest limitation for me is lack of a remote control. I am using
> a USB keyboard to control it right now. But there is a patch that adds
> support for the Apple Remote (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2017)
> as well as a binary with that patch included
> (http://collectivity.goof.com/), so I am hoping to get rid of the
> keyboard soon.

I have been using the "ATI Remote Wonder II" with my x86 Mini and
MythTV.   You can easily map the remote's keys to keypresses that
MythTV wants.  You can even remap the ATI logo key to start MythTV.
It has worked pretty well for me.

I haven't tried the Apple remote patch yet, because I have had
problems running the 0.20 version on my Mini (menus don't display for
me).

For the 0.19 version, I have found it to be stable, other than some
problems with stuttery playback of some 1080i material (not CPU power
related,  more likely related to conversion of 24fps film material to
1080i60 playback).

> > - Are there any sound issues? Does the TOSLINK adapter work?
>
> Sound via TOSLink works perfectly for me. The optical plug is 3.5mm
> and not the standard toslink type, but cables are available from
> several manufacturers.

For me, PCM audio works fine over the optical audio connection.  But,
when I enable AC3 passthrough, I get only static.  It sounds very much
like the audio before the x86 endianness issue was solved,  so it may
be another endian issue.