[mythtv-users] ZFS filesystem

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 14:54:11 UTC 2006

On 14/07/06, Timothy Waters <timothy.waters at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've heard from numerous people that XFS has worked wonderfully for them.
> They said it does much better on the bigger files.

The question was about ZFS, not XFS. In my experience XFS is great. Only
problem I've had is that xfs_check (I think it was) aborts when it receives
an EIO ... so I wasn't able to rescue data from my dying drive. But that's
not really XFS' fault...

I was excited to try out ZFS because my experience with UFS (I think that's
the other filesystem name) has been ... less than satisfactory. UFS was
always horribly slow (I'd say even worse than NTFS, but my Sun box is a very
old Ultra1, so it's not really a fair comparison), and got very unhappy when
it wasn't cleanly unmounted. Unfortunately, Solaris 10 doesn't support my
hardware. :(

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-spewtumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with
next."
        -- Arthur Dent