[mythtv-users] HD3000 - PVR250 - Comcast

Nedim Cholich nedim.cholich at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 01:58:15 UTC 2006

On 7/12/06, Jim Valavanis <jimvman at comcast.net> wrote:

> Nedim Cholich wrote:
>
> > On 7/11/06, *Jim Valavanis* <jimvman at comcast.net
> > <mailto:jimvman at comcast.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     Now the PVR250 has device node at /dev/video1 and the HD3000
> >     /dev/video0.  I believe this is due to the PCI slot that each one is
> >     installed on.  I've read some posts that state that the PVR250
> >     should be
> >     using /dev/video0, but I'm not sure this would make a difference?  I
> >     could swap the PCI slots.
> >

> > You are trying to use analog tuner on HD3000. What you really want to
> > do is use digital tuner with dvb instead. To do that you need to
> > prevent kernel from loading cx8000 and cx88_blackbird drivers but
> > blacklisting them. On Fedora put these two lines in
> > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> > blacklist cx8800
> > blacklist cx88_blackbird
> >
> > The only /dev/videoX shoould come from PVR250. HD3000 devices will be
> > under /dev/dvb/adapterX/...
>
> OK I unloaded the cx8800 and cx88_blackbird drivers.  I noticed that
> /dev/video0 is no longer there.  Here is what is in /dev/dvb/adapter0

If you load ivtv driver it's going to create /dev/video0

root at mythtv:/etc/modprobe.d# ls  -l /dev/dvb/adapter0/
> total 0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 4 2006-07-08 13:20 demux0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 5 2006-07-08 13:20 dvr0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 3 2006-07-08 13:20 frontend0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 7 2006-07-08 13:20 net0

Exactly as it should be.

> >     Anyway, I've been unsuccessful with the HD3000 card, I've tried
> using
> >     dtvsignal...
> >     dtvsignal /dev/video0
> >     Signal: 000
> >

> > Again, using wrong device.
>
> How can I now test the device?  I thought the DVB stuff is for RF HD only.
> I tried...
>
> dtvsignal /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0 and still get
> Signal: 000 .

Also, in mythtv-setup, do I just create a DVB tuner only?  Or do I
> select the HD3000 card?

There are planty of rousources out there that describe this. I'd
suggest browsing mythtv wiki site.
The first thing I would suggest is try mythtv itself. Go to mythtv-setup,
configure your input (DVB for  HD3000, your source and go to channel setup.

You can scan for channels and if you have any it's going to find them. Then
channels for
250 since frequencies are well known and will come from zap2it (in US).

Good luck.