[mythtv-users] Can a FX5200 drive a Westinghouse LVM-42w2 at 1080p

Shawn Asmussen shawn.asmussen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 23:48:31 UTC 2006

On 7/12/06, Marc Infield <marc at infielddesign.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just purchased a Westinghouse LVM-42w2 and my existing Myth setup
> has a chaintech fx5200 card with DVI. Can a fx5200 card drive the
> LVM-42w2 at 1080p?
>
> I've been searching around and reading posts for more than an hour
> and I seem to be going around in circles. There are many posts on the
> FX5200 card and I see some conflicting post on weather it can handle
> 1080i through the DVI port and some issues about frequency and
> drivers, but I haven't found much on 1080p. I'm a little nervouse
> that I'll wreck a reliable MythTV setup if I start fiddling with any
> modeline parameters.
>
> Currently when I hookup the monitor up to with a DVI cable it shows
> the text startup but drops the signal when it goes into X, the s-
> video works fine.
>
> Any links or pointer would be appreciated.
>
> By the way, I'm pretty impressed with the LVM-42w2 so far.

I have that exact TV, as well as that exact Chaintech FX5200 card. I found
that with the newest nvidia proprietary drivers, the FX5200 is limited to a
135Mhz pixel clock over the DVI output. With earlier drivers, this was
apparently not a limitation, but getting the older drivers to work with the
newer kernels is a non-trivial thing. The 135Mhz clock is not enough to
drive 1080p, so it refused to work. However, over the 15 pin vga connector,
I was able to do 1080p. I had another machine that is a dual boot
windows/FC5 box that I tried it out on also, with a 6x00 series video card
(Can't remember the exact model off the top of my head). With that card, the
binary drivers did 1080p just fine over DVI. Testing is fairly easy, as you
don't have to specify custom modelines to make it work. You can specify
"1920x1080" as the resolution, and it just works. However, you can muck with
the modelines if you want to, and I found these modelines from somebody
else's config:

        Modeline "1920x1080-59.94p"
	148.352
	1920 1960 2016 2200
        1080 1082 1088 1125
	+hsync -vsync
	# The modeline I use

        Modeline "1920x1080-60p"
	148.5
	1920 1960 2016 2200
	1080 1082 1088 1125
	# Another modeline I've used

I tried the 1920x1080-59.94p modeline with my TV, and that worked fine also
(In the same combinations as just using "1920x1080", not on the FX5200 DVI).
However, I didn't really notice any difference, so I went back to just
specifying "1920x1080". I was originally going to just upgrade the video
card to a low end 6x00 or 7x00 video card that wouldn't have that issue, but
I ended up deciding on more comprehensive upgrades so that I could do hi-def
without using XvMC.

Shawn