[mythtv-users] Mythtv .19 live watching

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 22:37:35 UTC 2006

On 7/12/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/06 13:53, Yves De Muyter wrote:
>
> >Sorry, but this is a problem I encountered. It seems like others have too.
> >
> >Also Mythtv is not used each day perse. There are simply too many TV-sets in
> >the house and mythtv is mainly used for recording. What if it was left on by
> >the kids on a music-channel and I noticed after 3 days ? It's not that I watch
> >TV each day...
> >

> Assuming the longest program in that 3-day period is 24-hours, you'd
> have the exact same result as leaving it on only for the period spanning
> that 24-hour program.  In other words, the only way to get a long LiveTV
> recording is if your guide data says it's a long program...  Once the
> 24-hour program completed, the new program starts, and then the 24-hour
> program would be the highest-priority program to expire (assuming all
> other LiveTV programs had already expired).
>
> >The option to break live programs in segments will probably be enough for now.
> >You'll have to be tuned on the channel anyway to get the start of a program.
> >

> So, feel free to make that an option.  :)
>
> Mike

If someone were to code an option to break LiveTV into say, 8 hour
chunks at most, I think very few people would bother to use it.  The
few that did might like it, so in the end, it may be a patch worth
submitting.  However...  I think a far better option is to simply
*teach* someone how to back out of LiveTV when not using it.  It's not
only applicable in this type of situation, but when I turn on the TV,
I expect Myth to be at it's "Home" screen.  It makes it more usable
for the next person who comes along to use it, they can easily select
watch recordings or whatever feature they are intending to utilize.

-Chad