[mythtv-users] wireless frontend?

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 19:10:57 UTC 2006

> Thanks for that info. I'd heard good reports from users of the
> "Pringles" style antennas but this is the first I'd heard of the
> easier-to-make pseudo-parabolic reflectors.
>
> Of course it depends on several factors, if the source of your
> interference is "on-axis" to your antennas they can actually make
> things worse.
>
> Of course going with MPEG-4 is going to help a lot as well, since you
> don't have to push as many bits as with mpeg-2.
>
> The one thing you didn't mention is the distance between your
> antennas, I'd be curious as to what range you are getting.

Just for the record, I use 2 WRT54G routers with the Sveasoft firmware
(Alchemy) in a WDS setup (which isn't the fastest way). I'm using the
standard antennae, and the signal passes through 3 walls at a fairly
bad angle. ;)

 I have my recording preferences at 704x480 and the end result is
2.2G/hr.  Playback is smooth with occasional jitters. Fast-forward
buffering isn't instant, but it's acceptable. (This would improve with
a lower bitrate mpeg.) These results are with a standard PVR-250 mpeg
on a 54G wireless network running WDS. Results of when using a
wireless card in the frontend should be somewhat better, I believe.

--Phill W.