[mythtv-users] ANN: Vacation scheduling

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 12 00:02:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 06:52:57PM -0400, John Johnson wrote:
> Someone mentioned vacation scheduling a while back.
> I've written a script to implement this, if anyone is interested in
> trying it out.
> You can find it here:
> in the Files section, it is called myth_vacation.
>
> Put it in /usr/local/bin or where ever you want.
> Edit the file and change the settings at the top (just the usual host,
> user, password, etc.).
> As root, run the script with the --install option.
> The script should create a couple of symlinks, an entry in the mythtv
> user's crontab, and a People recording rule called On Vacation.
>
> The rules that you want to turn on/off based on if you are on vacation
> or not should be assigned to a Vacation recording group.
> When you are ready to go on vacation, go to Manage Recordings | Schedule
> Recordings | Search Words | People and set the On Vacation rule active.
> The next time cron runs the myth_vacation script, it will notice you've
> changed On Vacation, and set all recordings in the Vacation group to
> inactive.
> When you return from vacation, set On Vacation inactive. The script will
> see the change, and set all recordings in the Vacation group to active.
>
> I know all the active/inactive is confusing, but I didn't name the field :-)

Seems like a very strange interface to go into search words/people to do this.

As I posted earlier, this is one trivial statement of sql

    update record set inactive = 1 where regroup = 'Vacation';

So it seems it would be a very simple special function to add to mythweb
for those who can't handle running a script to do a one line SQL update.

I'm a big advocate actually, of ripping out a fair bit of myth's more
obscure interfaces and putting them into mythweb.   Some of those interfaces
have really been squished into the mythtv remote-control based UI when they
really cry out for the more advanced abilities of a web browser.

But if it has to go into myth, it would make sense as a sub option in the manage
recordings menu.