[mythtv-users] Fwd: MediaMVP not booting from tftp server, anybody seen this before?

Gert-Jan Bilt, van de GertJan at vdbilt.eu
Tue Jul 11 06:37:25 UTC 2006

>Can you tftp in by hand and pull the dongle.bin.mvpmc and
>dongle.bin.mvpmc.confg?

>Also, can you show us your dhcpd.conf?  Especially the section regarding
>your mvpmv.

Yes, I can tftp in by hand and get the dongle.bin. The issue is that the MediaMVP never even tries to get to the tftp server. I have tried many dhcpd.conf setups, and ended up with this, which I don't think is the problem:
ddns-update-style none;
authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
{
        option broadcast-address        192.168.0.255;
        option routers          192.168.0.1;
        option subnet-mask      255.255.255.0;

        option domain-name      "local.host";
        use-host-decl-names     on;
        next-server             192.168.0.4;      # IP address of this TFTP server

        # Seting up an ip address is better here
        option domain-name-servers      194.109.6.66, 194.109.9.99;

        range dynamic-bootp     192.168.0.101 192.168.0.160;
        default-lease-time      21600;
        max-lease-time          43200;
        filename                "/dongle.bin.mvpmc";
        allow bootp;
}

Adding a group specially for the MVP does not work, neither the slash or not in front of the dongle filename. The OS is Mandriva 2006.0, dhcpd is 3.0.3, tftp is 0.40. TFTP is started via xinetd. Adding a 255.255.255.255 host to the eth0 also did not do the trick.

The tftp server simply is not seen by the box. Perhaps noteworthy is the fact that the MediaMVP complains in a initial setup screen that it can not find any streaming servers, where if I activate the Hauppauge on the windows machine it shows up immediately.

But as Brain Wood suggests:
> It will not work with the factory firmwarestill installed, for that you
> need to use the included server software. If it's working with
>the included software I suspect you are running factory firmware.

Indeed I am, straight out of the box, nothing changed to the unit. And indeed it does work with the Hauppauge server software, it even loads the GB-PVR dongle file. But those 2 are using something called Shoutcast (??) according to their log files, which indeed works on port 16881. And the version of Hauppauge software I use is 3.2.24125b, or is that 0.3.2? And still, the MediaMVP should read the bootp-server field of the dhcpd response, right? But it doesn't.... It seems to broadcast on port 16881 waiting for a reaction.

Oh, and I do have a European version of the MediaMVP, in case that can make a difference?