[mythtv-users] Sort of OT - Attn Aussies

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 04:49:07 UTC 2006

On 7/11/06, Nick Tan <nick at wehi.edu.au> wrote:

> David Whyte wrote:
> > On 7/11/06, Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au> wrote:
> >> I was just wondering what drives the rest of you....
> >
> > Simple, the convenience.  The alternative would be the use of a VCR
> > and frankly I detest VCR's.  Tapes go missing, you have to rewind and
> > fastforward, you have to wait for the show to finish recording to
> > start watching, only one person can playback the show at once, you
> > have to setup the recordings etc etc etc.
> >
> > Plus, I like the fact I can do more with my recordings, such as watch
> > them on my PDA or burn them to DVD.
> >
> > And whilst the difficulty involved in Foxtel type recordings has
> > detered me from even bothering, I do still watch FTA so it is all
> > worth it!
> >

> I've set mine up for FTA and Optus digital cable and I can say its well
> worth the effort involved.  I agree with your comments about VCR's.  I
> love being able to watch my shows on a remote frontend while my wife
> watches her shows on the main TV, while recording from FTA and cable at
> the same time!
> _

Hi,

Me its the convenience, there is precious little show i actually could be
bothered to watch on FTA tv, but there is a few. Mythbusters, beyond 2000
(or whatever its called), grey anatomy, and a few others.
I tried the whole VCR thing and it all got too much record this, record
that. Not to mention the time it takes to do the VCR.

But for me i would have to say it is the whole package. The ability for it
to keep a record of what ever shows i have recorded is great. The other day
i checked the recordings  and the stupid stations had start to show alias
again without any warning. But myth found it was on and recorded it.

Also the other Saturday it was raining and we were feeling lazy so we sat on
the couch and watched DVD for most of the day that i had ripped (legal ones)
on to the mythbox.

Andi guess the novelty factor of the mame games keep the kids amused when
they come over.

Before i was using .18 i was just using the tv recording and thats it. When
i upgraded to.19 using mythdora alot of the niggling problem were gone and i
have started to use all of the features. And that, I have to say, makes ita
whole different kettle of fish.

CH