[mythtv-users] PostgreSQL

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 22:44:10 UTC 2006

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PostgreSQL_Support
> >>  If you look at the ticket (240) that is
> referenced in the URL you
> >>  provided, you'll notice that Isaac has marked
> the ticket as
> >>  "wontfix", and indicated that he has no
> intentions of moving from
> >>  MySQL, unless it's to an embedded database.
> >>
> >>  Thus, PostgreSQL support is not official, and
> likely won't be
> >>  maintained as part of the MythTV project itself.
>  There are
> >>  unofficial patches, but that's it.
> >>
> > Can someone fix the page in the wiki?  At least
> take out the part about,
> > "official support for this is slated for MythTV
> 0.20," and mention that
> > it's unnofficial, unsupported, and the user is on
> his/her own...
> >
> > (I'm not going to change it because I'd just
> change the whole page to
> > say, "Use MySQL!")
>
> OK, since it's been almost 2 weeks and the page
> still said 0.20 would
> have official support for PostgreSQL, I edited the
> page.
>
> If anyone wants to restore the version from the Wiki
> history, _please_
> make sure you edit it to provide enough warning to
> poor unsuspecting
> users that PostgreSQL support is not official and
> there are no current
> plans to add support for PostgreSQL.  Also notify
> them that they should
> mention that they are using PostgreSQL when posting
> to the list or
> reporting bugs and that they may be asked to move
> their database back to
> MySQL and install an official version before any bug
> reports are taken
> seriously.
>
> Mike

Mike,

Well, you did what you said you'd do.  :)

I was just too lazy to create an account, plus I was
in Canada last week for vacation, so I never had a
chance to update the page.

When I get a chance, I'll revert the page and add the
note that there won't be any official PostgreSQL
support, and it's all third-party patches, etc.

-- Joe