[mythtv-users] digital tv card?

Timothy Waters timothy.waters at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 15:51:44 UTC 2006

So, I should just hook my coax cable output on the set top box to the input
of my PVR-250MCE? The only thing is that I will probably get another card
because that one does not have a remote control capability. Would you
recommend a pvr-350 or pvr-500 or anything else? TV-out would be nice too
;-)

On 7/10/06, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Timothy Waters <timothy.waters at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What is a good tv card able to handle digital cable?
> > I've got 350+ channels
> > and I would like to record some stuff  ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Timothy Waters
> > timothy.waters at gmail.com
> > http://www.e-Waters.org
> > 205-587-9001
> >
> > "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than
> > to speak out and remove
> > all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
> >
> > "It is easier to denature plutonium than to denature
> > the evil spirit of
> > man." Albert Einstein(1946)
> >

> The best "card" is the set-top box that comes with
> your digital cable, fed into a PVR-x50 card, being
> controlled by an IRBlaster (or serial port).
> Alternatively, the set-top box that comes with your
> digital cable, using Firewire.  (By now, Firewire
> capture may be better than S-Video in, I'm not sure -
> Firewire is the only way you'll get HD, but I've done
> neither of these methods, so I can't really comment on
> that.)
>
> I say this because most of those channels that you get
> will be encrypted, and to decrypt them, you need the
> set-top box/PVR that your cable company gave you.  For
> the unencrypted channels, if they are broadcast on QAM
> as MPEG-2, you can use a QAM-capable card (many of the
> ATSC cards are QAM capable now).
>
> -- Joe

Timothy Waters