[mythtv-users] overscan setting

Will Constable willconstable at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:29:37 UTC 2006

My mythfrontend runs on s-video to a 32 inch TV.  With default settings, the
picture is not square- it is surrounded by a black border on the TV screen,
and appears pinched on the sides.  To avoid this, I am trying to set the
overscan option using xorg.conf Option "TVOverScan" "0.6" which I found on
some website.  My card is nvidia and this option works, but does too much.
With overscan on I lose a lot of the edge of my screen and can't see parts
of menus and captions as a result.  I have tried changing the number 0.6 but
it does not seem to have any effect.  Does anyone know how to fine-tune this
option and find a medium between no overscan and the amount that I get with
the 0.6 option set?

Also, has anyone running fedora 5 found a good clean way to modprobe the
lirc kmdl and then start lircd on boot?

Thanks,

Will Constable