[mythtv-users] Categorising programs as movies for Aussies - moviematch.pl

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 12:19:19 UTC 2006

Fellow Aussies
most of you are probably getting program guide data which originates
from Nine MSN. This data doesn't mark programs as Movies - it
categorises them as Adventure or Drama, Comedy etc.

I've created a script called moviematch.pl which scans an alternative
program data XML file and identifies which programs are categorised as
"Movie" or "Movies" and then updates the program table in the database
to put those programs in the "Movie" category.

In my case, I use Michael Immir Smith's grabber as my primary source
of program data. I also have an account on http://www.tvguide.org.au/
which is an alternative source of data and which categorises programs
as Movie and Movies. I download program guides from both and use the
tvguide.org.au data as the source XML file in moviematch.pl to update
the program table.

Why bother, you may ask? Well, once programs are properly categorised
as "Movie" you can do a movie search in MythTV which makes it easier
to find films to record. There's probably other benefits as well...

You can get it at http://www.oaklands.aust.com/mythtv/moviematch.zip

Hope someone else finds it useful.

Regards,
Phill