[mythtv-users] Improving video quality - new tuner or HD cable box?

Owen Mehegan owen at nerdnetworks.org
Sat Jul 8 22:33:00 UTC 2006

I have a newly-constructed Myth system in which basically everything
is working the way I want it to. My only problem at this point is
that the video quality isn't very good. I'm connecting to a 34" Sony
HDTV (CRT). I'm using an Nvidia card with DVI out to the HDMI in on
the TV, and an ATI TV Wonder VE tuner card. I have a regular, non-HD
digital cable box. I'm feeding video to the system over composite
input to the tuner card and changing channels over the serial port.

The main problem I have with video quality is that the color is a
little washed out, there's a bit of motion blue, but mainly anything
in the picture that's white tends to have a rainbow, shimmery
quality. It has been suggested to me that this is a product of the D/
A/D conversion of digital cable/analog composite cable/digitized
mythtv. It has also been suggested that my crappy tuner card isn't
good enough for this nice TV.

I don't really care about HD from a content perspective, but I figure
that one of my options is to upgrade to an HD cable box and pull
video off it using Firewire. I'm not sure if my system is powerful
enough to deal with that though; I have a Celeron D 2.13 ghz
processor, 1G memory, and two 160G EIDE drives in a software RAID 1.
My friend thinks this processor won't be fast enough to record and
play back raw HD at the same time.

I guess my other option is to just get a better tuner card. Maybe a
PVR-150? 250? 500? I don't really know anything about the Hauppage
cards.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :-)
--
owen at nerdnetworks.org (Owen B. Mehegan)
'i am not a mathametician or computer programer ,but i do have