[mythtv-users] FC5 VIA XvMC What Am I Missing?

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Sat Jul 8 18:44:17 UTC 2006

On 8 Jul 2006, at 19:14, Calin Brabandt wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:53:31 -0400
> From: "Jake Thompson" <jake at jakethompson.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] FC5 VIA XvMC What Am I
> Missing?
> To: "Discussion about mythtv"
> <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> <8dd7baa90607071953v4e0cb86evd72f077a25ad8aff at mail.gmail.com>
>
>> However, I HAVE IT WORKING!!!!!  This solved both
>> my stutter and my xine problem.
>
>> edit /etc/grub.conf and modify your kernel
>> line adding to the end:
>
>> noapic nolapic pci=noacpi acpi=off
>
> Jake,
>
> I tip my fedora to ya'!  That's great news.
> Unfortunately, it didn't help my stutter.
>
> I've played around with the .asoundrc file and I can
> can change the nature of the stutter slightly, but it
> still stutters.  I've changed the period_size and
> buffer_size parameters and also tried dxs_support=4
> and dxs_support=0.  I do all my testing on ABC-HD
> because it's by far the worst.
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop (or restart) doesn't
> work correctly either.  If the KDE soundsystem is
> enabled, it segfaults.  If I disable KDE sound in
> Control Center first, it hangs the terminal window.
> So I just logout and logon to reload .asoundrc.
>
> I may give up and try Knoppmyth, but I hate that
> barebones distro.  Adding anything (even apt-get
> firefox) will break it!  If it works "as is," it's
> often the fast path to success, but I don't expect to
> successfully add anything or modify it. :(
>
> Here's my .asoundrc, if anyone has any suggestions, I
> appreciate the help.
>
> -Cal
>
> pcm.dmixer
>     type dmix
>         ipc_key 1024
>     slave {
>             pcm "hw:0,0"
>             period_time 0
>             period_size 1024
>             buffer_size 16384
>        rate 48000
>            }
>
>        bindings {
>                0 0
>                1 1
>            }
>    }
>
>    pcm.dsp0 {
>        type plug
>            slave.pcm "dmixer"
>    }
>
>    pcm.!default {
>            type plug
>            slave.pcm "dmixer"
>    }
>
>    pcm.default {
>       type plug
>          slave.pcm "dmixer"
>    }
>
>  ctl.mixer0 {
>      type hw
>          card 0
>    }
> options snd-via82xx dxs_support=4

Hey,

I have pretty much the same setup as you, (identical audio card
atleast) and I too had a skipping/stuttering problem that I couldn't
resolve. I've just switched from XvMC to Standard (ffmpeg) and that's
fixed it all for me

It's a shame not to be able to use XvMC, however I'm actually finding
playback to be a little smoother with the standard ffmpeg decoder.

Weird how an audio problem can be fixed by switching off XvMC huh?

Out of interest, what mobo are you using?

Cheers!

Ben