[mythtv-users] Newbie setup questions

Phil pvmythtv at nekophile.com
Sat Jul 8 18:05:46 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've recently obtained my first laptop (IBM T41, 1.7, 1G, Radeon 9000,
Gentoo [suspend2-sources]) as a portable pc for a stay in Japan.  I am
considering using it for view and record programs while there.  My
understanding is that they use cable for internet and so I'm hoping to
find a cheap way to watch TV on cable.  Worst case, I use bunny-ears.

In researching hardware, I've more or less landed on the following item
at newegg:

- PLEXTOR PX-TV402U-NA USB 2.0 Interface ConvertX PVR Device with
built-in TV tuner - Retail

Now for the questions:

- This card is also available as a Japanese model.  Is that model
supported or recommended for my needs?

- When using mythTV, say, to archive a show, what is the recommended
workflow for going from hard drive to DVD (I use DVDShrink & k3b currently)?

- I took some gentoo forum advice and setup my ext3-formatted drives
(internal as well as USB/ieee1394) a la:

tune2fs -O dir_index,has_journal /dev/hdXY
tune2fs -o journal_data /dev/hdXY

Are these options problematic for MythTV?

- Additionally, is the use of an external drive typically a good or bad
idea in this setup?  IOW/ will there be too much USB / ieee1394 traffic?

And, not really appropriate here, but if you happen to have suggestions....

- Does one need a cable box to view basic signal off of cable internet
in Japan when using MythTV? (longshot question, but wth.)  I'd love to
run one leg to the cable-modem and the other to the plextor.

- I've had a bit of a time finding an appropriate IR dongle on newegg.
Any suggestions for a cheap and available model?

Phil