[mythtv-users] Recording Digital Channels with MythTv

Bill Witherspoon billw at witherspoon-design.com
Fri Jul 7 23:47:13 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've been using Myth for about 1.5 years and really enjoy it!

I have never had a reason to post here, but my cable company
(Rogers in Ontario, Canada) pulled a fast one today. They moved
my favorite analog channel, 52, up to 410.

I have their basic STB, but refuse to shell out $30+/month for their
idea of a PVR. I'm spoiled by myth! I'm quite happy to pay for the
channel, but if I can't record it...

So my question is: has anyone had success using a DVB(?) card to record
digital cable channels, and more specifically how would one find out if
a particular channel from a particular provider is 'free to air' or is
encrypted? I doubt calling my provider will yield anything other than a
sales pitch for some crappy, crippled PVR.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Bill