[mythtv-users] Raid Performance Tweaking

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 19:24:37 UTC 2006

lol...

running a server class motherboard with dual CPU's and HT serves
overcome lots of IO issues guys with less horsepower are going to
experience.

however, even with all that horsepower:

1. Once commerical flagging is through the "logo" portion disk usage
is much lower and manageable. Try watching HD while in the logo
portion, you will likely see/feel the impact. I have a very fast
desktop machine, than when I use it for commerical flagging, will pull
>300Mbit during the logo phase.

2. The 2.4M number you're listing there for HD playback, is just
that.. playback. During FF/REW you will generate up to more than 10
times that bandwidth, assuming your network can sustain it.  24MB is
more than half the performance of most single spindle modern drives.
You may think it works differently, but watch network util during a
60x FFW and you'll be shocked.

3. Run something like bonnie++ on your single drive, see what your
performance is like.. I'd suggest setttings like this:

bonnie++ -d /myth -u0 -g0 -n0 -s 1024

Not trying to start a "whose system is bigger/better".. but making a
point. Single disk is insufficient for most serious myth setups.
Things like server motherboards and dual cpu's can help offset some of
those disadvantages, but you'll still suffer from it.