[mythtv-users] Playing back IFO/VOB files from server.

Craig Lovold craig at lovolds.com
Fri Jul 7 17:56:18 UTC 2006

Dos anyone know of a way to play back a VOB file and have the player use
the IFO file with it?

I have lots of movies on my server with all the menu crud ripped out and
just VOB file(s) with corresponding IFO file for each movie.

I have tried Xine and MPlayer, but each one just wants to play the VOB
file like a stand-alone mpeg file.  None of the honor the jump points or
continuations in the IFO file.

I used to have a Roku HD1000 on my network and I just pointed it to the
folder withe th VOB/IFO files and it played them, no problem.  I am
hoping that something like this exists for MythTV (or Linux in general).

I don't want to have to put in each VOB file as a 'file to play next' as
that is very cumbersome to manage, won't let you skip backwards over
file breaks, and has a nasty pause/flash while Xine/MPlayer restarts
with the next VOB file.

There doesn't seem to be a way to trick Xine/MPlayer into thinking that
the folder is a dvd, so it doens't do the IFO processing.

Am I the only one playing back movies this way?  What's the dealio?

Thanks,

Craig L.