[mythtv-users] Eliminating a ground loop/hum

Owen Mehegan owen at nerdnetworks.org
Fri Jul 7 02:24:58 UTC 2006

OK so I bought a ground loop isolator at Fry's. It has two pairs of
RCA plugs, one male, one female, and a pair of wires with bare ends.
The diagram on the back is not very clear. Am I supposed to connect
the bare wires to something grounded? Any suggestions as to what?

Incidentally, it never occurred to me to unplug the coax to my cable
box and see if that cured my hum problem. Instead I had cut power to
the cable box, and unplugged all my connections from it to the
computer... none of that helped, but sure enough as soon as I popped
the coax out, the hum went away. I thought maybe my coax splitter,
used to connect my cable modem and cable box to one coax feed, was
the culprit, but even with that removed I get hum. So I guess my
cable loop isn't grounded right? How can I fix that?

--
owen at nerdnetworks.org (Owen B. Mehegan)
'But that I am forbid