[mythtv-users] Feature Request, Vacation Mode

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Jul 7 01:56:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 05:20:03PM -0700, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On 7/6/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>

> > There are TONS of ways to expire recordings. I'm sure one of the
> > existing rules (or exceptions) will work for you.
>
> That is a good idea, and I will look into it.
>
> > show she has decided she doesn't like to watch any more. You can also
> > set a recording to inactive which will turn it off until you turn it
> > back on again which I believe is what you're suggesting. Priorities
>
> This is what I am suggesting, but more automated.  Instead of, every
> time I go on vacation having to adjust each recording schedule, this
> method would allow for the adjustment to be made once, and all rules
> to follow one simple command of, turn all vacation non-recordings
> inactive for now.

As I presume you know, you can deactive schedules without deleting them.
Surely you can't have too many programs in this class that it's so hard
to go through and do that?

If so, you may not be a programmer but one can learn to do SQL manipulations
without doing too much programming.

For example, an SQL command roughly like:

    UPDATE record SET inactive = 1 WHERE title = "60 Minutes";

Would disable your 60 minutes recording for you, and setting inactive = 0
would turn it back on.   You could write out a series of statements like
this for the shows you want to turn on and off.

Or you could do it based on 'recordid' if you know the recordid, which is
a unique sequence number for every recording you request.

Or, you may not know this but 'autoexpire' is not just a boolean.  You can
put any integer in there, the higher the integer, the faster it expires.

Normally autoexpire is either 0 or 1, but if you set it to 2, anything
of class 2 will expire before anything of class 1.   Tvwish's "suggestions"
(tivo-like feature) does this so that all suggestions expire ahead of any
real shows, just like the tivo.

    UPDATE record SET autoexpire = 2 WHERE title = "60 Minutes";

Would do this for you.  This way the shows record but always yield space
to other shows.

You can also use tvwish directy to request recordings with specific
autoexpire values.  I haven't given it any ability to manipulate the
inactive field, not much use for that!

To do mysql actions, you would put your mysql statements in a file,
and then say

    mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg  <file

You will be asked for the mythtv database password.  You can find
this password in the file mysql.txt, usually in /local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
but the command 'locate mysql.txt' will show you where it is.

You do this on the server with the sql databsae, usually the master backend.