[mythtv-users] Feature Request, Vacation Mode

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 23:23:13 UTC 2006

I know that as a user who can't code, suggesting features is probably
frustrating for those who do the coding, but I thought I would throw
this idea out there in the hopes that (a) someone who knows how to do
the coding would find this worthwhile and (b) it is relatively easy to
do.

There are several shows I record that I like to watch the day of, but
after a week would be irrelevent.  For example, Pardon The
Interruption, a sports talk show, is interesting (to me) on the day it
airs, but a week later, who really cares about last week's stale
sports news.  When I go on vacation, I really don't want my mythbox to
fill up with these types of shows, potentially auto-expiring older
shows.

Perhaps there should be a way to set up a "vacation policy" for a
show.  In other words, when scheduling the a recording, one option is
to set the vacation policy, as to always record or don't record while
on vacation.  I think just a yes/no condition set via radio button is
all that is needed, but maybe other options would be useful (record
show if HD is less than 80% full, etc).  Then when you go on vacation,
you put myth in vacation mode (maybe from a main window or a setting
screen), so all it records are the shows whose "vacation policy" is
set to record always.