[mythtv-users] possible p2p approach for mythtv information?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 5 20:14:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 12:40:55PM +0100, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> Aaron Harwood wrote:
> > Dear MythTV users,
> > Would it be worthwhile developing a p2p approach for tv guide
> > information and other kinds
> > of information? Maybe information like cutlists, that in many cases
> > requires manual intervention
> > and reasonable time to get it right. E.g., a 'tv_grab_au_peer' might
> > be able to both try grabbing information
> > from the ex-officio site and otherwise try grabbing information from
> > some other tv_grab_au_peer.
> > It might also snowball to an integrated bittorrent module for sharing
> > video files and the like. Any comments?
> > -a
> >
> anyone know of a (stable/supported/functional) c++ toolkit for building
> p2p apps that could be used as the basis for this?

I don't see this as a P2P app.  First of all, I suspect the vast majority
of Myth boxes are behind NAT and would not readily participate in a
P2P app.    Nor would you necessarily want to gather info by allowing
many thousands of machines to connect to you.

This really sounds like a central database app to me.   Machines report
data to a central database (or databases) and suck it back down from
the same database.