[mythtv-users] How to play DTS wav file through MythTV

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 09:41:46 UTC 2006

Hi

I've been trying without success to play some DTS wav files I have
downloaded through MythTV without much luck

First I rename the file from .wav to .dts in order to have a specific
command for that type of file.

But I'm having issue playing the file itself.

If I do:
aplay -Dspdif file.wav : no problem, I hear the sound in 5.1

With mplayer (installed automatically using the freshrpms package on
my Fedora 5 box)
mplayer -ac hwac3,hwdts, -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv dts_diatonis_io_afos.wav

I get the errors:
Playing dts_diatonis_io_afos.wav.
Audio file file format detected.
Forced audio codec: hwac3
Forced audio codec: hwdts
Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
hwac3: switched to AC3, 80000 bps, 48000 Hz
a52: CRC check failed!
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 80.0 kbit/5.21% (ratio: 10000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [hwdts] afm: hwac3 (DTS through S/PDIF)
alsa-init: using device iec958:{CARD 0 AES0 0x02 AES1 0x82 AES2 0x00 AES3 0x02}
alsa: 48000 Hz/2 channels/4 bpf/65536 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little Endian
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch ac3 (1 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
a52: CRC check failed!

On my processor, I see that the input has been switched to Dolby
Digital and it makes some click click as it's switching between modes.

with xine (configured for spdif passthrough , which plays DTS DVD just fine)
I do
xine dts_diatonis_io_afos.wav

However, I see on my audio processor the DTS light going on and off
and the same clicksas hears when using mplayer...

Obviously I don't want to use aplay as then there's no way to control
the music with my remote control!

Any ideas?
Thank you
Jean-Yves