[mythtv-users] Stuttering only when audio enabled (dropping frames).

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 21:16:41 UTC 2006

I'm running Via Openchrome XvMC on a P4M800Pro
motherboard.  When I set the audio device to /dev/null
(or other nonsense), playback is smooth.  When I set
it to ALSA:default or /dev/dsp, Myth drops frames on
playback (live TV or recordings).  It also drops
frames with the standard (non-Via XvMC) decoding
setting.

I've tried all the audio options available in
mythfrontend Utilities/Setup >> Setup to no avail (and
pretty much every other option too!)

Here's the output from mythfrontend -v playback

With ALSA:
http://home.comcast.net/~calinb/myth_audio

Near the bottom, you'll see the

"2006-07-04 13:15:00.916 NVP: Video is 3.05305 frames
ahead of audio, dropping frame."

which goes on continuously.  (This was a short run).

With /dev/null:
http://home.comcast.net/~calinb/myth_null

there are no frame drops once playback stabilizes.

Also, without HT on FC5-32, HDTV results in cpu loads
around 60% with 3.2GHz Prescott.  This seems high but
it appears XvMC is being used, based on the output
above.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

-Cal