[mythtv-users] Mythbackend causing high load

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Tue Jul 4 18:43:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 09:20 -0400, Ryan Steffes wrote:

> I recently upgraded my kernel and haven't had the problem since.  It's
> too soon to tell for sure because I also cleared up some disk space,
> but this is the first full week of uptime I've actually had in a very
> long time.  I've had no glitches, crashes, or other problems since I
> upgraded.  I'm now running 2.6.12-22mdk (Mandriva's kernel package)
> and was running 2.6.12-12mdk, so it may be worth inquiring to see if
> there's something they've fixed in the last couple months that may be
> related.

The problem as I understand it isn't due to how much free space you have
as much as it is due to the total fragmentation of the space that is
available. That is why some people would see the problem one week at
20gb free, and not see it the next week until 15-16gb free.

I'm sure it also matters when/if you transcode your recordings. If you
transcode all your recordings one at time during the night when no other
recordings are going on, I would expect this process to be like a
mini-defrag, assuming you have enough defragmented space available to
fit the newly transcoded recording. Of course if you are recording while
the transcode is going on, that would probably just make the problem
even worse.

When I posted to the ReiserFS list Hans seemed to think we're hitting a
corner case or bug in an optimization routine, because from what I have
seen the problem doesn't worsen over time, rather it all of a sudden
hits and brings the machine to its knees.

I urge you guys to join the ReiserFS list to help track down the issue
so we can get it fixed. I know for myself there is pretty much no way I
can convert file systems without losing the vast majority of my
recordings.

In fact Jeff posted a patch that _may_ fix or least help the issue:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=reiserfs&m5168608000310&w=2
I haven't had a chance to test it out myself yet.

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>